§2 ch2: CANHU Protocol: Structured Decision Making (SDM) Screening Process, Response Priority and Track Assignment
2.3 Response Track
2.3.1 Parameters of Investigation Response
Investigations are those reports where the acts of the alleged perpetrator, if confirmed, are criminal violations and/or where the action/inaction of the alleged perpetrator may not be criminal, butif continued, would lead to the removal of the child or the alleged perpetrator from the home.
NOTE: In deciding whether to screen a report for investigation, staff shall consider what will be in the best interest of the child. All reports where the child may need to be removed are not investigations.
Investigations will include:
- All reports of child fatality;
- Reports of serious physical, medical or emotional abuse and serious neglect where criminal investigations are warranted;
- All reports of sexual abuse;
- Reports in which the alleged perpetrator is not a member of the family/household;
- All other reports that do not fall into the above categories but which, if confirmed, would be a violation of the criminal code statutes listed;
- All reports referred to the Out-of-Home Investigation (OHI) Unit or non-relative/non-household member/caretaker(s) reports that are investigated by county staff.
2.3.2 Parameters of Family Assessment Response
Family Assessment responses are carefully screened reports of suspected maltreatment. They are reports of mild, moderate, or first-time non-criminal allegations of abuse or neglect. These will include reports where a law enforcement co-investigation does not appear necessary to ensure the safety of the children.
Family Assessment reports will include:
- Mild, moderate or first-time non-criminal reports of physical abuse or neglect (including medical neglect);
- Mild or moderate reports of emotional maltreatment; and
- Educational neglect reports.
NOTE: While most educational neglect reports will be handled most appropriately through a Family Assessment, this does not preclude staff from referring the information obtained to the school or prosecutor for possible action.