Section 4 Overview
This section pertains to the policy and procedures necessary when an out-of-home placement of a child across state lines is being considered.
Chapter 25 Overview
This chapter describes procedures and protocol when seeking to place a child in another state or when another state wishes to place a child in Missouri. There are five interstate compacts which impact the placement of children across state lines. They are:
- Interstate Compact on the Placement of Children (ICPC),
- Interstate Compact on Adoption and Medical Assistance (ICAMA),
- Interstate Compact on Juveniles (ICJ), and
- Interstate Compact on Mental Health (ICMH).
- Interstate Compact of Educational Opportunity for Military Children (ICEOMC)
The Compacts which primarily impact the Children’s Division are ICPC and ICAMA.
The Interstate Compact on the Placement of Children (ICPC) is a legally binding contract among member states approved by the U.S. Congress and the legislatures of all 50 states, District of Columbia, and the U.S. Virgin Islands as uniform law. The law governing ICPC in Missouri is found in Section 210.620, RSMo.
ICPC assures the protection of children crossing state lines and ensures they receive the same supports and services as if they remained in their own state. The Compact establishes orderly procedures for placements and outlines the responsibility of each state.
The Interstate Compact of Adoption and Medical Assistance (ICAMA) requires states to provide Medicaid through Title XIX to eligible children with an adoption subsidy agreement, when that child’s family moves between member states. Currently, all states except Vermont and Wyoming are members of ICAMA. The territories of the Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico are also non members. The law governing ICAMA is found in Section 453.500-453.503, RSMo.
The other three compacts, ICJ is under the Juvenile Court; ICMH is under the Department of Mental Health and the ICEOMC is administered and managed by a compact commissioner appointed by the Governor.
Table of Contents
- 25.1 Type of Placements Governed by the ICPC
- 25.2 Type of Placements Exempt from the ICPC
- 25.3 Placement of a Missouri Child into Another State (Regulation 2)
- 25.4 Placement of Another State’s Child into Missouri
- 25.5 ICPC Regulation 1
- 25.6 ICPC Regulation 7 or Expedited Placements
- 25.7 Other Interstate Compacts
- 25.7.1 Interstate Compact on Adoption and Medical Assistance (ICAMA)
- 25.7.2 Interstate Compact on Juveniles
- 25.7.3 Interstate Compact on Mental Health
- 25.7.4 Interstate Compact on Educational Opportunity for Military Children